You are currently viewing How to Resolve “Work Without a Permit” Violations in New York City

How to Resolve “Work Without a Permit” Violations in New York City

1 . Check your building for active permits and violations. Check if plumbing fixtures, for example, were installed without a permit. You will have to either call the Department of Buildings by dialing 311, or retain a professional. After you confirm that you have a violation or don’t have a permit, you should start considering the kind of permits you will need for your scope of work.

2. Confirm if the work was completed before your purchased the house; or calculate civil penalty needed to obtain a permit. You can waive penalties required to obtain a post-work permit; if you are a bonafide purchaser (bought the house with existing violation). A building violation professional can help you with appropriate forms and documents to avoid the penalty.

3. You must prepare alteration application to submit to the Department of Buildings to obtain a permit. A building violation professional can prepare the alteration application and also indicate that you are looking to resolve a violation. You have only two options to choose from to resolve the violation: revert back to prior legal condition (remove all the plumbing) or legalize completed work. Either option requires obtaining a permit for plumbing work, for example. Therefore, even if you remove plumbing to satisfy a violation for work without a permit, you must get a new permit to remove illegal plumbing fixtures.

4. Hire building violation professionals. Your building violation professional will obtain a permit and perform the work of bringing your building into compliance. They will provide Sign-off for the permit and final inspection.

5. NY violations must not only be physically corrected with a permit; but also a hearing for the violation must be attended. To resolve the hearing part of the violation and to remove the violation from (DOB) Department of Buildings system, an approved Certificate of Correction must be obtained from DOB and presented at the (ECB) Environmental Control Board hearing.

Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start writing!

This Post Has One Comment

  1. A WordPress Commenter

    Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.

Leave a Reply